Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Don Moen and Theme Songs

I was listening to the "best of" album of Don Moen and it amazed me how many of the songs have marked my Christian journey and a sense of nostalgia swept upon me. Then I thought about theme songs. Ever have theme songs during different stages of your life? Well, I've had several of them including "Kailan" by Smokey Mountain when I was in high school.

Back when I used to work in a radio network, a colleague of mine and I were assigned to put up a huge event that involved Christians who worked in media. But we were short of time, resources and support. For two months, we literally breathed, ate and even had nightmares about this event. During one of our many overtimes, we looked at each other warily, trying to encourage one another. Nothing we said helped. But then we sang "God is the strength of my heart."

My heart and my strength many times they fail
But there is one truth that always will prevail
God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever


And so somehow, we survived and managed to put up the event. It wasn't really that successful but it was still a herculean effort that we were able to do with God's strength.

Forward to today. I am in a foreign land with values and ways that are still strange to me. My husband is still back in our home country and I don't know when we will be together. Add to that, my work place has become unbearable and I need to leave soon. I know rent, bills and other payments are just looming in the horizon. I have a new theme song from Don Moen:


God will make a way where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide
Draw me closer to His side

This has actually been my theme song since I came here. When I had four frustrating months looking for a job, this was my theme song. When I had to move to another residence, this was definitely my song. And now as I head for a new direction, I'm confident that God will make a way. In fact, the only time that this song was replaced was when I went home and got married early this year. Then it was Don Moen's "Give thanks."

Theme songs. They can define the particular stage in your life. But they can also be a source of inspiration as my current one is to me. What about you? Got any new theme song?